Thursday 9 April 2020

Toilet paper is the new

white gold currency. 
I had to go to the chemist for the Senior Cat yesterday. (No, I did not growl at him when he told me he needed more eye-drops even though I had asked him three days previously if he had enough to last until Easter.) So, instead of waiting until today to get the milk for the long Easter weekend, I went to the supermarket as well. 
It isn't something I ever really enjoy and it is worse than usual right now...except that something happened. 
I have to pass the supermarket to get to the chemist but I went and dropped the prescription in. A "twenty minute wait" I was told. I made the most of it. I checked the post office box for the elderly man who cannot get out right now and then I went into the supermarket.
One of the students who works there part time was stacking the shelves with packs of toilet rolls. They were huge packs - about forty rolls in each pack. Even if I could justify buying that much I could not carry it. People were taking it off the shelf as fast as he was putting it on there. Do they really need that much?
He gave me a smile though and, from under the trolley he was taking the paper from he took a pack of twelve rolls.
    "I put it aside for you Cat. I thought you might need it. If you don't then you can share it out."
He had seen me going past the supermarket as he wheeled the trolley in, guessed I would be back and kept it in case I wanted it.
We actually have sufficient at present but I knew two families with children who were genuinely worried about their supply. I bought it. I broke the pack in halves and passed the rolls on. 
    "I would have kept it," a neighbour told me when he saw me doing it. No, I didn't need it. There will be more. I happen to know he is hoarding one of those forty something roll packs - and he lives alone. 
And no, I am not being "good" or "thoughtful" I am merely trying to be sensible. I know other people who would do the same thing simply because it is the common-sense thing to do.
But I have to confess I had a hard time not having a little sniffle at the thoughtfulness of the student shelf-stacker. All I have ever done for him is read an essay.
It would be nice if one good thing to come out of all this social distancing is some togetherness in other ways.

No comments: