Saturday 4 April 2020

Keeping in touch

with family and friends was never more important right now.
An elderly friend of mine, E....,had heart surgery yesterday - a valve replacement. These days it is a much simpler piece of surgery than it once was but it is still surgery and it still, like any surgery, carries with it risks.  
At the present time only cardiac, cancer  and emergency surgery are being done. Her surgery was considered absolutely essential. And yes, a lot of people would like her around for at least a few more years. She is smart, funny and full of commonsense.
I was thinking of her on and off during the day. In the late afternoon I had a call from another friend J.
    "I told L....(E..'s daughter) I would let you know. E... is out of recovery and back in the ward. All being well she can go and stay with L... tomorrow."
I didn't realise until then that I had actually been anxious. I let out a sigh of relief. We chatted for a bit. L... is a nurse and can make sure her mother is well cared for. Hospital is no place to be at any time but even more so now.
Another friend had phoned at lunch time. She was just checking to see we were managing and whether we needed anything. 
In the very late afternoon another friend phoned to check on the Senior Cat. She had seen me pedalling out but wanted to know about him.
And the husband of another friend left some biscuits his wife had made as a "thank you" to the Senior Cat. No, he didn't come in. We kept our distance which seemed odd as he would normally sit and have a cup of tea with the Senior Cat. He probably should not have done that but we could hardly say no. 
I have phoned people. I sent my godfather a proper letter as he finds it hard to hear on the phone. When he is feeling up to it I know he will contact us. 
As long as the phone system keeps working and the internet does not fail we don't need to lose touch with people. I am reminding myself that keeping in touch is even more important now. Please nudge me on that one if I forget.
 

No comments: