Monday 6 April 2020

There were only two recorded cases

of Covid19 reported in this state  yesterday....
Let's hold it right there. It does NOT mean that I am going to loiter in the aisles of the local supermarket, visit friends or do any of the other things which involve contact with other humans.
Middle Cat came over last night. She is family but she took precautions, big precautions. Yes, that is how serious it is. She helped the Senior Cat have a shower but she was gloved and masked.  
Middle Cat and I have agreed to take helping him  in turns because Middle Cat needs to check the state of Senior Cat's feet. He has serious problems with those - related to being extremely "flat footed" and his poor circulation. (The latter is age and mobility related.) If there are other medical issues Middle Cat can also assess the advisability of getting additional medical help. 
We are fortunate in all that but it doesn't mean we are taking risks.
The "just two cases" does not mean life is getting back to normal. If we get to the point where there are no new cases for two months I might cautiously venture into a place like the library (where I can keep a "social distance" from other people) if the library is open again. I still won't be loitering in crowded places. 
This is the problem with the way the media is reporting all this. It is actually damned irresponsible. They should be screaming. "The problem is not solved yet. Stay home. Stay away from other people."
Social media is proving useful right now. I can check on quite a few friends that way. The telephone is useful for some others (mostly elderly) ...and I have even written a few old fashioned letters. 
Will people go on communicating like this? Sadly, I doubt it. I doubt that I will see parents out walking the children as well as the dog or that the parents and children will pass me as they ride their bicycles up the hill. (I am slow pedalling sort of cat.)
I note that the latest organisation to put their hands up for a bail out is the rugby association - an organisation which has been paying their administrators as well as their players obscene amounts. While I would be concerned about people losing their jobs I still don't believe that governments should be giving organisations like that any money, especially right now. Put the money into saving lives and educating people about the need for long term and permanent changes to the way we live.
The waters around Venice look remarkably clean. It's time to keep them (and many other places) that way.

No comments: