Sunday 12 April 2020

"Zoom" technology is

being employed in many ways right now - but it is beyond the Senior Cat.
We investigated it yesterday. He wanted to know what it is because the local priest is employing to for Sunday Services right now. I wondered if we could set it up so that he could communicate with my brother - and even with the great-grand kittens. 
The Senior Cat knows about Skype - sort of - but it didn't really impress him. Would Zoom be any better? 
I tried to explain. Eventually we gave up. He says he has better things to do with his time than worry about new forms of technology.  I know that he would not be able to cope with a Sunday Service like that. He wouldn't be able to hear it and would be confused by what he was expected to do. It isn't a matter of vital importance to him anyway. Today is fine. At the time he would be in church he will, hopefully, be outside. 
He may look as if he is simply staring into space but I know that he will come in for his cup of tea or, later, for lunch and say,
    "I've been thinking...." or "You know that book I have been reading..." 
We will talk. Apart from  essentials we do not talk about gardening. He doesn't discuss conjuring with me. He talks to my brother about woodwork and the foundations for the rainwater tank. They discuss the education of the great-grand kittens and more. His conversations with Middle Cat tend to be about everyday things or how the human body works. He finds it hard to talk to the Black Cat so he simply asks her about what she has been doing.
But, I am here. I am available. He can ask me about something he has read in the paper. Before the Cardinal was released he asked me what could happen and afterwards he wanted to know why the decision had been made. He wants to know about statistics and why it is thought "social distancing" might work. When I finished knitting something recently he wanted to know how I had stiffened it - and  where I had found the information. 
The Senior Cat is full of questions. He wants to know things. At ninety-seven he is more inquisitive than some seven years old kittens I know. He has managed to learn to use an i-pad although his understanding of how to search for something is still heavily influenced by the filing methods of his youth. He does not believe things just because they are there on the internet.
But Zoom...? No. He will be fine as long as the phone is working and YouTube can show him the clip that will tell him  "how" or "why".
 

2 comments:

Gemma Braiding said...

Hi Cat, lots of the churches are streaming Services on their Facebook pages, which require nothing more than clicking on the provided link, if that’s any easier for your Dad,

catdownunder said...

Thanks. There is also Channel 44 here (not sure where you are) and I sorted that out for several people. It's been an excellent thing that people are using the internet to come together when so often it sets people apart.