Sunday 21 November 2021

Activity packs for 3 to 11 years

old nieces, nephew and neighbours are something I have started to work on.

Brother Cat will, hopefully, be here late on Tuesday. He is travelling by car so he can take the interstate packs home. They still need to be filled with things that will travel.

The age range is also making things a little difficult. The three year old here is an active little girl - but still a girl and still not old enough to be given some of the things her six year old brother could have.

And at the other end of the age range the "almost twelve" year old (how dare I suggest she is "11") starts high school  next year. She won't want some of the things I will need to include for the younger ones.

I had a look on the internet at what other people might put in activity packs. As I suspected there were a lot of things which are too much like school. No, this is not about school! This is about having fun.

I have glue sticks, sellotape/sticky tape, washi tape, stickers, cardboard, origami paper, crayons,  envelopes, cards, some post cards, some price tickets (to decorate), some polymer clay in little packs (with instructions to get an adult to help "bake"  it), some seeds to plant in a cardboard cup (find out what grows from these seeds), some pocket size games, something which makes a noise (the adults will hate me for this but....) and some pocket size games. The three year old will need a ball instead of one of those because the pieces are too small. There are notebooks and there is paper.

And there has to be food. Yes, I know...but there has to be food. Okay I have done the reduced sugar jelly frogs and do the snack packs of chips really do that much harm...and yes, you do need mini-packs of "Smarties".   

I am trying to think of any other little things I might have missed. It is now that I miss MsW so much. She was still young enough to know what should go into the bags or, on her regular trips to the "cheap" shop for glue and cardboard, she would find something and tell me, "I think you should put that in too".  

So, help me please - what would you want in your activity pack if you were that age? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

googly eyes?

catdownunder said...

Mmm - thank you whoever you are - that's a thought for the interstate lot because I know where to find some!