Monday 1 November 2021

Climate change hypocrites

are after me again. I got bailed up by one yesterday. He has been very active lately. There have been letters to the paper, a loud presence on the air waves, critical comments in social media, some "protests" to attend. He is also furious that he was prevented from going to Rome and then to Glasgow.

I committed the sin of questioning his criticisms of me. I dared to point out that Downunder is actually doing quite well. I did say we could do better - but that was not enough for him. 

Yesterday I tried something else. I asked him, "You drive to work don't you? How are you finding the traffic along...." I named the main road into the city - the one I know he uses.

"Dreadful!"

I was not interested in that. Instead I said, "I'm surprised you use the car. You could ride.You live on the bike route." 

His house is actually on the street which is the designated bike path into the city. He would need to ride about three kilometres to his place of work - where he sits at a desk all day.

He looked at me absolutely shocked. He couldn't possibly do that. He has a car parking space at work. All he needs to do....

And that perhaps is where the problems really start. I read with alarm the number of vehicles that President Biden has had flown in to Rome (and then presumably to Glasgow). I doubt any of them were necessary. I presume it is possible to hire vehicles in Europe, even the sort with additional security features. How many other leaders of nations are taking such measures. How many security personnel, media personnel and more are they taking with them? Do they really need all those other staff?

And then there are all the "climate protestors" - led by Greta Thunberg of course. Now, don't misunderstand me young Greta Thunberg has more than done her bit to raise awareness. On the whole she has tried to limit her carbon footprint as well but I wonder about all those who follow her around and who protest at talk fests like the G20 Summit and COP26. They are quick to complain about the number of trips Prince Charles has taken but how many have them have travelled to such protests when they could have protested in other ways? 

I am tired of being told by climate change hypocrites that we are doing so badly. We aren't really doing that badly. We have actually reached the targets we set and that they agreed we should set. We have even exceeded them. While we still need to do better, much better, we are trying to do it in a realistic and responsible way. Some of our loudest critics have not yet reached the same targets.  If they want us to continue to reach and exceed the targets set then they need to encourage not criticise.

 

No comments: