Tuesday 9 November 2021

What is going on with Auspost?

We used to have a rather extraordinary postal service but the last few years have left me wondering whether we even have one.

Let me start with some parcels which have gone missing. 

(1) the scarf I sent my sister-in-law for her birthday. It was a particularly pretty one- just her shade of blue - silk, screen printed. 

(2) an item I knitted as a sample for my friend P... It never arrived. I later saw it being worn by a complete stranger who told me she had bought it at a garage sale in another state.  

(3) a parcel sent to the United States to a very special friend M... who has done so much for us

And then there are the following:

(4) a parcel that didn't reach me but was returned to the sender with "not wanted" on it. It was apparently delivered to the wrong address because I most certainly did want the contents

(5) a parcel with two t-shirts which should have arrived here but never did - the t-shirts are unique.I'll know if I ever see them being worn by someone other than Middle Cat.

(6) a parcel containing a book that someone else must be reading

and, most recently,

(7) a parcel that should be on its way back to me because it was "the wrong address" - the only problem with this is that it was not the wrong address. Auspost delivered it to the wrong address - or their employees did. I have paid for a service which has not delivered but I won't get my money back.

Parcels can now arrive at any hour of the day or night. They are delivered by people who are clearly "contractors".  Some of them are clearly having difficulty in carrying out their duties. One of them tried to deliver something to this address which was intended for the units in the court across the street. When I explained he said, "Well, can't you take it there?"

Other mail is still only being delivered every second day. That was supposed to be a short term measure during the pandemic. It has continued. It causes delays. It gives people much shorter times to pay bills, respond to job offers and other things. 

Complain? You are told to "do it on-line". 

No, why should we. Not everyone can do that anyway. There is a postal service which is supposed to deliver - but isn't. 

No comments: