Sunday 7 November 2021

Going out to lunch

is not something I do very often. Going out to lunch at a rather posh restaurant is something I have done even less often.

It was my cousin's birthday yesterday. His partner phoned about ten days ago asking if I was free to go to lunch with them for T...'s birthday. The Senior Cat, Middle Cat and her partner were invited as well.

"We thought we'd try a place on the river bank," R... told me, "You are our guests."

I knew it was intended to be a special occasion in more ways than one.  They missed all the usual family occasions last year and the year before that because they normally live in London for nine months of the year.  Of course they have not been able to travel backwards and forwards as they usually do.

So, lunch. My BIL picked me up while Middle Cat went with the Senior Cat in the "access cab". (It is too difficult for him to get in and out of a car now.) We found the place without difficulty - along a quiet stretch of the "river" which runs through the city. The building has long glass windows and doors opening out on to a deck over the water. They were firmly closed yesterday because it was raining when we arrived but it was still lovely to watch the water and the young ducklings paddling furiously after their mother. 

Ah yes, a reserved table...we hope you will have a pleasant time... drinks? As none of us drink alcohol I think they might have been disappointed but they were too polite to show it. 

Menus were provided. The print was too small for the Senior Cat to read of course so I read it slowly to him. Some of the offerings left him bewildered. "Why can't they say what they mean?" he muttered softly to me. I have sometimes wondered the same thing. Does it taste different simply because French or Italian words are employed?

I wondered what size the servings would be. They are normally far too large. I could see a waiter carrying laden dishes to one table. The Senior Cat and I usually share something but this was not the sort of place where you could do that. Middle Cat said something quietly to the waiter who handled it beautifully by saying to the Senior Cat, "We offer a smaller serving size for lunch if you would like to try...." The Senior Cat was delighted. What came for him was just right.

On request our servings were also much more moderate in size. The restaurant doesn't actually do smaller servings but the chef was prepared to accommodate people who don't eat simply for the sake of eating. He wanted us to enjoy what he had prepared. We did. 

I could have fed all of us for the price of the dish I chose and that was far less than the more exotic items (such as "boar") on the menu - which we all ignored. I don't for a moment suppose we were charged any less but we cleared our plates. It made me feel a little less uncomfortable about the cost of it all. Perhaps it is something restaurants should try more often?

 

 

2 comments:

Hilde said...

This sounds like a pleasant experience. Here in Germany you often find smaller portions of the main dishes offered on the menu. The price usually is not much lower, but I think the main thing is that you don´t eat more than you would like or letgood food go to wast, The restaurants started this about tweny years ago, but I remember my mother asking for a smaller portion mote than thirty years ago and almost always getting one. Of course, in really posh restaurants there is no danger of getting more than you can eat.
Hilde in Germany

catdownunder said...

I will remember that if I ever go back to Germany! (I was there for less than a day. Most of my time was spent in a post office getting stamps for the rest of the group. I am still amazed that the very old man behind the counter understood my appalling attempt to communicate in German.)