Tuesday 23 November 2021

I have a head full of useless information

- or at least it seems that way.

Several times recently I have caught the end of the "Mastermind" program in Downunder. I assume the format is similar to the program of the same name in Upover. Whatever, it is the part where people are asked the general knowledge questions. 

I can almost never answer the sports questions - but I have no interest in sport so this is hardly surprising. I also have a problem with anything relating to what I would call "modern popular culture". Things like "pop music" have simply passed me by. I have very little idea about the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and the like. I know the names Cat Stevens (but I think he changed it)  and ABBA but I really know nothing about them.

I would fail miserably.

I am in awe of these people who front the cameras and try to answer the questions. I feel for those who find it hard and wonder how on earth those who can do manage to do it. My mind would go blank under pressure anyway.

We had quiz sessions at university - similar to the Mastermind general knowledge section - but I could never bring myself to participate. I would go along and listen. I would keep my score firmly to myself. No, I didn't disgrace myself but I was aware of big gaps in my general knowledge - even if I did know the capital of Bhutan (Thimphu) I didn't know the name of the first Beatles film. I am not sure which is more important...perhaps it has something to do with where you live?

Clearly though my "cultural literacy" is lacking because, although I had heard of them, I did not know just what the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were.  I am still not really sure. Perhaps though I know enough because the Raphael knitting pattern I wrote for a friend so she could make something for her grandson has turned out to be "just what I need". Phew! I may not know much but perhaps I know enough - sometimes. 

 

1 comment:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Well done you! Sometimes even an uneducated guess will do the trick.