Wednesday 17 November 2021

I was told I was "selfish"

yesterday. I don't think I am. I hope I'm not but apparently it is selfish of me to ask other people to think about getting vaccinated against the Covid19 virus.

Yes, I know we are all tired of hearing about this but I was a bit upset by the reaction I got when all I said was, "Well I hope people in the medical and teaching professions do get vaccinated. I hope they at least think about it."

Wrong thing to say. I was told off in no uncertain terms. I was told I was selfish and that I was only thinking of myself. 

"Just because you want to get back to what you think is normal," I was told.

Well yes, that would be nice. I don't like having to wear a mask when I am out and about. I don't like having to sign in everywhere I go. I suppose it is very selfish of me to find those things irritating. 

Oddly though I expect to have to go on doing those things for some time. I expect to have to go on doing it because other people have not been vaccinated. 

But even odder than that I am concerned about my young friends in the street - and all the other children like them in this state. They can't be vaccinated yet. It may be some time before this happens. Even then they may not be completely immune. I know it is very selfish of me to hope that none of them become ill. Or is it?

It is now mandatory for teachers in this state to be vaccinated. The very few who cannot be for medical reasons are exempt of course but there is no excuse for other teachers. The vaccines are available.  Surely if you really care about the students you teach and the standards of the profession in which you work you will get vaccinated? If you do care so little then should you be working with students at all?  

When I said this I was told, "Kids don't get that sick. It's just a bit of a cold for them. You all fuss too much."  

Am I fussing too much? I don't think I am. Our hold on life is far too fragile. I want my young friends to grow up and do something with their lives. If it takes vaccinations by all who can to achieve that then is itreally being selfish?


 

No comments: