Sunday 14 November 2021

The cost of COP26

is something I am trying not to think about. It was a "talk-fest" and I doubt that it has generated much, if any, good will among those responsible.

If the same amount of money had been spent on actually doing something it might not have appeared to make much difference but would it have done good? 

Anyone who knows me will know that I am a "plant more trees" person. I want to see the right sort of trees planted in the right sort of places. I want to see trees which will provide shelter (for all sorts of life), food, clothing, warmth, items we can use and more. I want trees that will root themselves in the landscape and be here hundreds and even thousands of years after we have gone. I want the giant sequoia trees to survive. I want the Huon pine trees to survive. I want the Amazon rainforest and the Daintree to expand again. I want to see the lakes that feed them fill. 

It could be done. I don't doubt that. There are people I know who are trying to farm both sustainably and responsibly. 

It is  very hard work.

I think that is a major part of the problem and we have not yet addressed that. Any form of agriculture, horticulture, or forestry, is very hard work. It requires long hours, hard labour and a commitment few are prepared to make. It is even harder to do it in a responsible manner. It is expensive too. 

We all want a "nice" and "comfortable" lifestyle but how many of us picking up vegetables in the supermarket or at the greengrocer consider what went into getting them there? If you drink milk have you thought about the dairy farmer who has to work every day of the year? 

We had some wild weather here recently. There was a very bad hailstorm. Some crops were ruined. People will complain about the price of goods going up - but what about the market gardeners who have lost their crops?

If the money spent on COP26 had been put into actually doing something all these people might have been helped further down the chain. There might have been more tree houses for the birds, insects for them to eat, and leaves for the animals. 

It might not have seemed like much at the time but it would have been a start. All those commitments and resolutions might sound good but it really is up to the rest of us.  

1 comment:

Beryl Kingston said...

I'm with you all the way Cat.