Friday 8 May 2009

I spent most of yesterday trying to

convince myself that I do not have a rotten common cold and that I could do some work. I actually did some work but not as much as I needed to do. I really need someone else to make me chicken soup and let me curl up like a real cat. It is unlikely to happen. So, forget it Cat there are things to be done.
There are some things that cannot be done. I cannot do the ironing. The ironing board is surrounded by books...and more books. The nice man will, according to the message on the kitchen table, be back on Monday. It seems a very long time away right now.
A friend of ours called in yesterday and said, "I didn't realise how many books you have."
What does he mean? We don't have that many - or do we?
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in a house without books. It would not be a home. I think it would be uncomfortable. I feel uncomfortable in places that do not have books. What do people do? I wriggle and squirm if I have to watch television without a book and knitting as well. Yes, I can do three things at once! Television rarely rates full attention. There are books and/or articles in the paper that do not rate full attention. Why waste time?
My sister says I am not good at relaxing. She might be right.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Yep, me too Cat - a world without books is unthinkable. Always makes me think of that wonderful episode of the Twilight Zone, where the avid-reader-husband has to hide his books form his domineering anti-books wife... However, I find living without an ironing board quite satisfactory :-)

Hope you're feeling a bit better.